“We will be more successful in all our endeavours if we can let go of the habit of running all the time, and take little pauses to relax and re-centre ourselves. And, we will also have a lot more joy in living!”
–Thich Nhat Hanh
So, how often do you take a break? Or, are you a workaholic, who thinks sleep is a waste of time and relaxing, laziness?
It’s necessary that we take a break once a week. Well, God, too, took rest on the seventh day, didn’t He?
However much enthusiasm we might hold within ourselves, it’s a fact that our body is not a machine that can work, ceaselessly. A machine, too, breaks down if overworked, and so could our body. And, our mind, too!
Remember what we learned in school?
“All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.”
It also makes Jill a dull girl! Jill, as in, YOU, my dear reader!
It’s OKAY to relax once a week; laze around doing nothing, or doing something you don’t do during the week days. That doesn’t mean you spend the day doing laundry, or cleaning up the entire house!
Just sit, breathe easy, sip your tea/coffee nice and slow and bask in the moment.
TIPS TO RELAX AND REJUVENATE YOUR BODY:
- Sleep until late on a Sunday. Your body isn’t accustomed to it, I know, so sleep till as long as you feel like, so that you wake up fresh.
- Stretch your body and exercise a little. I have noticed that if I miss my Yoga even for a day, my body feels ‘rusty’!
- Opt for something different for breakfast and try to involve the kids in making it.
- Put your phones away and spend time with your kids or friends and family.
- Unplug. The world won’t change much in a day if you don’t check what’s going on out there.
- Pamper yourself–either at home, or at the salon–and feel rejuvenated!
TIPS TO RELAX YOUR MIND:
- Play some music and sing along.
- De-clutter just one area of one room on a Sunday, and make plans to tackle another area the next Sunday. In short, just clean-up one spot instead of scrubbing the entire house; you will be bone-tired by the end of the day.
- De-clutter your mental rooms, too. Talk things out with your close ones if something’s been bothering you during the week and try to sort it out, or dump it in the trash can if it’s irreparable. Just let things be!
- Catch up on a movie or two at home with the entire family. For hubby and me, Sundays are ‘Movie days’, when we surf through Netflix and watch a couple of films.
- Prepare a to-do list for the next week/plan your meals/sort your work clothes. Be ready for the week ahead.
This is usually what I do on a Sunday, and believe me, it feels fantastic! Make changes as per your lifestyle, but do take that break.
YOU need it, my dear!
I am participating in the April A to Z Blogging Challenge and my theme is, ‘SELF-CARE’. You will find all the A to Z posts here.