Yesterday, I completed 47 revolutions around the Sun.
Phew! No wonder those aches and pains trouble me so much nowadays. It’s been a physically taxing journey, really. Emotionally, though, I don’t feel a day above 16. In fact, I still experience a childlike glee during my birthday week and I look forward to my friends and relatives wishing me and showering me with their love and blessings!
That’s how I wish to live for the rest of my life: young at heart, sweet 16, always.
Now, coming to the topic of this post – there are lessons I learned during the 47 years I have spent on this blue planet and today I am sharing those lessons with you all.
I am being honest here and would like to mention that these are my personal opinions, based on my observations and experiences. You are free to not agree with me. No offence taken.
47 lessons in 47 years:
1. Time heals everything. You will get over it all–loss, failure, rejections, heartbreak, people, too. Just give it some time.
2. Nothing is permanent. So, don’t stress the small stuff, and don’t stress the big stuff. It will all be gone one day.
3. With time, your circle of people will get smaller. Only a select few will stay, the rest will leave. Let them go.
4. Career first, relationships, later. Choose the work that gives you happiness (especially now that you have such a wide range of vocations to choose from.)
5. Learn to spend time alone, enjoy your own company. It’s liberating.
6. Have dreams, make plans, but be prepared to watch them getting trashed in front of your eyes. It will hurt, badly, but you will get over it.
7. Everything happens for a reason. You will definitely find answers to the whys and the hows of life some day.
8. Take one day at a time. Don’t live in the past. Don’t live in the future. Live in the present. It saves a lot of anxiety.
9. Life keeps changing all the time. Embrace the change.
10. What’s meant for you will find its way to you. Have patience.
11. Recognise your skills. Hone them and use them to further your progress in life.
12. Strengthen yourself to take rejection in your stride.
13. Be kind to everybody. They are all fighting a battle you know nothing about.
14. Be kind to yourself. You will be living with yourself all your life!
15. Take very good care of your body – from head to toe. Especially your toes, or feet, to be precise. They carry you every where!
16. Pursue a hobby. It will be one of your biggest support systems.
17. If you can, find a job, or work for an NGO. It does a world of good to your self-esteem.
18. Accept it that you aren’t perfect. Nobody is.
19. Never compare yourself with others, or your life with others’.
20. Everyone here is unique, and so are you. Love yourself. Make yourself a priority.
21. There will always be differences of opinion. Be graceful enough to accept others’ opinion the same way you would like others to accept yours.
22. Peace of mind is much more important than winning an arguement.
23. Talk less, observe more. Be a good listener.
24. Size doesn’t matter. Age is just a number.
25. Cherish those who truly care for you.
26. Your followers on social media are just numbers. Your closest friends will always come to your rescue in a crisis, not your 10,000 followers.
27. If something has to happen, it will, irrespective of whether you ask for it. And, please don’t bother God with it. But, remember to thank Him everyday for everything that does happen–the good, and also the not-so-good.
28. You are never too late or too old to begin a new career. Change your strategies, move with the times.
29. Do what’s good for your life, what makes you happy. Do not bother about society’s norms.. People will always have a problem, whatever you do.
30. A little bit of fiction is necessary to survive the chaos of real life.
31. Appreciate the body you are blessed with. And, if you can’t appreciate it, then work on it, maintain it. It’s yours, and the only one you will ever have!
32. Enjoy the food you eat–even junk food. Never feel guilty and spoil the fun. Keep your taste buds happy. They matter, too. But, maintain a balance.
33. Strive to feel beautiful from within more than looking beautiful from the outside.
34. Your mental and emotional wellbeing matters a lot more than you care to admit. Look after your mind and soul, too.
35. Leave God alone. Let Him do His work in peace. You mind your own business.
36. Believe in God if you wish to. God won’t take offence if you don’t. God isn’t petty the way we humans are. He will love you either ways.
37. Accept life as it is. Accept people as they are. It’s tough, I know, but you really have no choice!
38. Be careful whom you trust.
39. Never invest your emotions in people who don’t care.
40. Speak your heart out with only a chosen few, who have been with you for the longest period of time. They know you inside out and will not judge you. Ever.
41. When feeling miserable, cry out loud. Or curse. Let out the steam. It’s truly therapeutic.
42. People’s opinion about you can never change the person you are.
43. Don’t bother explaining yourself to others, especially in the virtual world. People really won’t care; they have made up their mind about you.
44. It’s OKAY to make mistakes. God does it all the time; we are mere mortals!
45. You might be embarrassed about yourself or your “pathetic life”, but trust me, no one cares. Everyone has there own problems to sort out. Your life doesn’t really matter to them.
46. Impressions can be deceptive. Maintain some emotional and physical distance with people. Open your hearts to only a select few.
47. De-clutter regularly–your house and your life. Give away what you don’t use/need. Lesser the better–unused stuff in your house, or unused stuff in your life.
So, that’s all for this year. Looking forward to learning some more next year, God willing!
Do you keep a list of lessons you learn from life?
Do share with me some very important ones you learned.
Thank you for your love and blessings!