Nonetheless, I decided to think what might happen if I were to take a leaf out of that mag and follow some of their advice. So, here goes…
1. Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, so you have a delicious meal ready, on time
Okay. I generally do that, but hubby is a social butterfly, who would rather spend time with his gang, and that too, when dinner is ready at home. But, no complaints here. Left over dinner becomes breakfast for the next day. One chore less on my to-do list for the next day! Yay!
2. Prepare yourself. Take a 15 minutes rest before he comes home. Touch up your makeup, put a ribbon in your hair. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people.
Hmm. Let me see, now. Hubby is to reach home in 15 minutes, so I make a quick dash to get all powdered up to greet my man. Hubby reaches home, gives me a look of surprise. “Are you planning on going somewhere? Please change your plans, coz today is my turn. I was home with Chikoo yesterday, so you stay home tonight.” No words of appreciation, or even a whistle at seeing his wife all dressed up, and not in her rag-gy PJs and a dull and boring t-shirt. No complaints, here, either. I will take a selfie and send it to all my friends. Will receive way more LIKES!
3. Clear up the clutter. Gather up the school-books, toys etc, run a dust cloth to make the main room look fresh and pleasant. Prepare the kids by washing their hands and faces, and get them ready to meet their tired father with a big smile. Try and encourage the kids to be quiet when he arrives.
Hubby steps into the spic-n-span house at the end of a tiring day (my house is always spic-n-span. Ha ha!) , and is greeted by a howling Chikoo. Well, that is his way of welcoming his dad! Hubby is happy. Matter closed. I really didn’t have to bother with all the dusting. Chikoo distracts hubby’s attention from all this trivial stuff!
4. Be happy to see him. Be sincere in your desire to please him. You may have many things to tell him, but not as soon as he arrives. Let him talk first. His topics of conversation are more important than yours.
Well, each time I show my sincerity in pleasing him, he asks me warily, “What have you been up to? Do you have something in mind? Oh no! YOU DID NOT PAY THE ELECTRICITY BILL EVEN TODAY?!”
And, about the second part , about not saying things as soon as he enters the house. Well, NO WAY! I mean, no way am I going to wait a minute longer in dumping all those things on his head that have been driving me nuts the whole day. No Sire! I have waited patiently the entire day and now I have run out of it!
5. Your goal: Try to make sure your home is a place of peace, order and tranquility, where your husband can renew himself in mind,body and spirit.
The day when my home is a place of peace and tranquility, is when we are having a cold war going on between us! That is the day there is P E A C E.
And, this is the one that left me dumbstruck. People, even in the west, expected THIS from their women?
6. Make him comfortable. Arrange his pillow. Offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soothing and pleasing voice.
Hmm…the sofa in my house is not as cluttered so as to not help him make himself comfy. And, offer to take off his shoes!?? No effing way am I going to do THAT…EVER! I mean, whoever does that?
Ah! That is all that I could take. I hurriedly extricated myself from the archaic gyaan on display, and thanked God that I wasn’t born in that era! Phew! What a relief.